- Launched our “Truthtellers” series of videos aimed at dispelling disinformation about the 2020 election
- Released a bold agenda to fix our broken political system in 2021
- Advocated for the creation of a January 6 Commission, which passed the House with strong bipartisan support
- Published the “Outsized Influence” report on megadonors, which received widespread press attention, including an exclusive story in the New York Times
- Revealed the extent to which then-President Donald Trump used his Twitter account to undermine the legitimacy of the 2020 election
- Started the “Reimagining American Democracy” discussion series, partnering with Freedom House, the National Center for Civil and Human Rights, and the George W. Bush Institute and featuring top thinkers, activists, policymakers, and organizations
- Added five new board members
- Launched a $400,000 ad buy with the National Council on Election Integrity to address the January 6 attack on the Capitol and imagine a new path forward, while also advocating for a peaceful transfer of power and an end to violence
- Called for the creation of a bipartisan commission to investigate the events of January 6, and prevent future attacks, launching a $250,000 ad buy
- Submitted written testimony to the Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress, calling on congressional leaders to strengthen Congress and build a legislative branch that is capable, representative, transparent, and resilient
- Launched the second season of our “Swamp Stories” podcast
- Launched the Count Every Vote campaign, a three-month, $15 million communications effort anchored by the bipartisan National Council on Election Integrity of more than 40 government, political, and civic leaders (see here for a full list of members), to defend the integrity of our democratic process and ensure a smooth transition of power after the election. The effort included a paid advertising program and received significant media attention, with over 200 citations and press appearances
- Helped push to secure a $400 million downpayment from Congress in assistance for states to hold safe and secure elections
- Joined with a diverse, crosspartisan coalition for months to press all presidential candidates to disclose their bundlers, resulting in President-elect Biden publishing the names of his elite fundraisers
- Worked with the Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress as it passed 97 unanimous bipartisan recommendations that would help make Congress a more functional, accessible, transparent, representative, and technologically adept institution. Issue One was also a leading organization pushing for the House to renew the select committee’s work into the 117th Congress, which was officially announced at the end of December
- Successfully pushed the House Democratic Caucus to make their rules public after a year-long effort with coalition groups
- Filed an amicus brief before the Supreme Court with Campaign Legal Center arguing states may require their presidential electors to vote for the winner of their state’s popular vote, which the court unanimously affirmed in its “faithless elector” case
- Published “Mystery Money,” a report that detailed how shell companies that give money to super PACs could be conduits for foreign money in the 2020 election
- Worked with Reps. Ben Cline (R-VA) and Dean Phillips (D-MN) to introduce H.R. 8022, the Lobbying Disclosure Reform Act of 2020, the first substantive update of the LDA in over a decade
- Held two virtual summits exploring the intersection between faith and politics
- Published an open letter with a bipartisan group of 110 former members of Congress, governors, and Cabinet secretaries in USA Today urging current lawmakers to embrace institutional reforms in the wake of the public health and economic crises spurred by the coronavirus pandemic
- Recognized by conservative Washington Post columnist Jennifer Rubin for our work to secure the 2020 elections
- Published extensive research about how candidates and outside groups work together to evade anti-corruption laws.
- Executive Director Meredith McGehee submitted testimony to both the House and Senate appropriations committees in support of boosting congressional capacity
- Joined with a coalition of groups to support a Michigan’s voter-approved redistricting commission, which a federal appeals court upheld as constitutional
- Established the “Fix the System” coalition to engage business leaders in fixing and safeguarding democracy
- Launched the first political reform podcast hosted by a Republican about draining the swamp
- Helped secure $425 million in election security funding for states and also strong measures to help deter further foreign influence in elections as part of our “Don’t Mess with US” project
- Help launch and incubate The Fulcrum as a first-of-its-kind digital publication dedicated to democracy reform. In 2021, The Fulcrum became a project of the Bridge Alliance Education Fund
- Worked to extend the Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress for another year
- Championed fixing the broken Federal Election Commission through reports, visibility projects, and legislation shaped by Issue One that passed the House of Representatives
- Launched the inaugural Theodore Roosevelt Courage Awards to recognize Republicans and Democrats in the House and Senate for their work as bipartisan champions to fix the broken political system
- Published deep-dive research into poor political ad policies on Facebook, Twitter, Google that helped pressure social media platforms to overhaul their political ad policies before the 2020 election
- Continued recruiting dozens of Republicans and Democrats to legislation that would protect against foreign influence in elections, including 39 sponsors from both parties in the House and Senate of the Honest Ads Act (HAA)
- Organized more than a dozen organizations from across the political spectrum to call on presidential candidates to disclose their campaign bundlers
- Led the coalition that worked with Republican and Democratic senators to pass the Senate Campaign Disclosure Parity Act, the first bipartisan political reform legislation signed into law in decades
- Played a critical role in the creation of the Select Committee on the Modernization of Congress
- Supported the launch of the first bipartisan Caucus in Congress ever established to discuss crosspartisan political reform that is now part of the Bipartisan Working Group
- Held the “Renewing the Founders’ Promise” event at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, PA.
- Issued the definitive report on dark money in elections since Citizens United and recruited sponsors to the bipartisan Political Accountability & Transparency Act (PATA) to close dark money loopholes and end political slush funds in Congress
- Wrote the definitive report on ethics in Congress over the past decade and helped overhaul of sexual harassment policies in Congress
- Watchdogged one of the oldest dark money groups — Americans for Job Security — for failing to file mandatory tax returns — and as a result, it eventually lost its tax-exempt status
- Recruited more than 200 former members of Congress, governors, and Cabinet secretaries from all 50 states (one of whom returned to Congress after learning about Issue One’s critical work)
- Helped successfully defend the Office of Congressional Ethics after Congress tries to kill the independent watchdog.
- Recruited former Representative Zach Wamp (R-TN) to lead our ReFormers Caucus with former Ambassadors Tim Roemer (D-IN) and Connie Morella (R-MD).
- Supported a dozen Republicans and Democrats as they introduce a bill to overhaul the FEC — the first truly bipartisan political reform measure in almost a decade.
- Launched “Democracy = National Security” — a project to connect how the broken political system damages America’s strength at home and abroad.
- Helped craft the bipartisan, bicameral “Honest Ads Act” — the first legislation written directly in response to Russia’s attack on our political system in the 2016 elections.
- Hosted an all-day, crosspartisan summit at the Brookings Institution about how to fix the political system.
- Partnered with the U.S. Archives and the U.S. Association of former members of Congress to discuss the 40th anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court case, Buckley v. Valeo.
- CEO Nick Penniman co-authored “Nation on the Take” with Wendell Potter.
- Helped draft the bipartisan “EPIC Act,” a bill to combat foreign money in U.S. elections.
- Recruited former Homeland Security Secretary Gov. Tom Ridge (R-PA) to Issue One’s ReFormers Caucus, increasing membership to 150.
- ReFormers Caucus released its policy framework to return the government to the American people.
- Recruited former Ambassador to India and 9/11 Commissioner, Rep. Tim Roemer (D-IN) to lead our ReFormers Caucus with former Ambassador and Rep. Connie Morella (R-MD).
- Launched its ReFormers Caucus with more than 100 former elected officials, chaired by former Ambassadors Tim Roemer (D-IN) and Connie Morella (R-MD).
- Partnered with the Campaign Legal Center to release “Blueprints for Democracy,” a groundbreaking report on political reforms at the city and state levels.