The ReFormers Caucus, a bipartisan group of more than 100 former members of Congress and governors—including Ambassador Tim Roemer, Sec. Chuck Hagel, Sen. Tom Daschle and Gov. Christine Todd Whitman—released a statement today declaring that the power of money in our elections threatens the integrity of our democracy, and points out that nearly nine out of 10 Americans, from across the political spectrum, agree. The statement also offers solutions to the problem that will restore faith in our democratic institutions and put everyday Americans back at the center of our democracy where they belong.
In its statement, the ReFormers Caucus endorses:
- increasing transparency and disclosure of political spending
- improving enforcement of the law
- severing the connection between lobbying and campaign finance
- supporting innovative experiments at the state and local level that improve civic participation and amplify the voice of small donors and
- working to overturn Citizens United.
(Click to enlarge)